21.4.2015

Oialla Beniano Bolivia 78%

A few days ago (actually it was yesterday, but by the time you'll be able to read this it will be a few days) I reviewed this chocolate in its 72% form. Will the 6% (well, mathematically speaking 8,3%) increase in cocoa content make much difference? Let's find out. I have some of the 72% standing by for comparison, but I won't taste it before I have had this one.

The bright white paper wrappers of the chocolate are 1:1 with the 72% one as is the appearance of the chocolate bar itself.  There is a small difference in the colour of the chocolates though. I can't really smell any difference between the two chocolate brothers. Also the texture is the same.

So then the flavour. When first tasting this I get some bitter notes that I don't recall getting from the lighter one. This chocolate also has more fruity flavours, which is of course nice. I also think that there is an earthy, darker taste of something that I feel on my tongue. But that's almost hearsay because I'm not saying that my taste memory would be even close to perfect.

The aftertaste is nice. I prefer it to the lighter one. There is some acidity and fruityness in the aftertaste and the chocolate leaves a nice feel in my mouth. Now the bitterness isn't the only flavour in the aftertaste. The difference is enough to make me grade this at 9 (vs. 8 for the 72%).

Finally, the ultimate comparison: I have the 72% and the 78% on the table and I will taste them one after the other to see if my taste memory is worth enything. I take a big piece of the 72% and immediatly notice the difference. The 72% is much sweeter. It's only logical, but I wouldn't have guessed that the difference would be this big. I go back to the 78% and notice that the 72% had none of the fruityness that the 78% has. Cool! Another big piece of the 78%... (yummy)... and then back to the 72% once more. Yup, this is sweeter and actually has a slight marcipan taste to it now that I'm chewing on it (sorry).

Of these two I prefer the 78% one because it has more flavours in it all the way to the aftertaste. However, since the rating I gave the flavour of the 72% was a "weak" 9 and this is a strong 9, the overall ratings for these chocolates are very close to each other. I like them both. The 72% is sweeter but not of course sweet in the sense you would call a milk chocolate.

Speaking of milk chocolate... I still have the Oialla Beniano Bolivia 46% milk chocolate in my stash. It's like dark chocolate but has milk powder in it. No vanilla or lecithin. Stay tuned.

Ingredients: Cocoa beans containing cocoa butter (48,8g/100g) & cane sugar

Muutama päivä sitten (itse asiassa se oli eilen, mutta kun näet tämän tekstin, siitä on kulunut jo muutama päivä) arvioin tämän suklaan 72% variaation. Onko 6% (no, matemaattisesti laskettuna 8,3%) kaakaopitoisuuden korotuksella suurta merkitystä? Otetaanpa selvää. Minulla on jonkin verran 72% suklaata vieressäni vertailun vuoksi, mutta maistan sitä vasta tämän jälkeen.

Vitivalkoiset kääreet ovat 1:1 72% levyn kanssa, kuten myös suklaalevyn muoto ja kuviot. Suklaan ruskean sävyssä on kuitenkin hieman eroa. Tuoksussa en huomaa minkäänlaista eroa näiden suklaaveljesten välillä. Koostumuskin on sama.

Sitten makuun. Ensimaussa on selviä kitkeriä makuja joita en muista maistaneeni vaaleammassa veljeksessä. Tässä suklaassa on myös hedelmäisiä makuvivahteita, mikä tietenkin ilahduttaa. Tässä taitaa myös olla tummempi, maanläheisempi maku, joka lähinnä tuntuu kielen päällä. Koska makumuistini ei kuitenkaan ole lähelläkään täydellistä, ei kannata liiaksi luottaa siihen.

Jälkimaku on miellyttävä, parempi kuin vaaleammassa. Jälkimaussa on hapokkuutta ja hedelmäisyyttä ja tästä jää suuhun sellainen yleisen miellyttävä tumman suklaan maku. Nyt kitkeryys ei ole ainoa jälkimaku. Ero on sen verran merkittävä jälkimakujen välillä, että annan tälle tummemmalle veljekselle astetta paremman arvosanan jälkimausta.

Ja vihdoin vertailuun: Pöydälläni on 72% ja 78% veljekset ja maistan niitä vuoronperään selvittääkseni onko niissä makueroa ja jos on, kuinka paljon. Nappaan suuren palan 72% ja huomaan selvän eron. 72% on paljon makeampaa. Onhan se loogistakin, mutta en odottanut eron olevan näin selvä. Palaan 78% pariin ja totean 72%:sta puuttuvan kaiken hedelmäisyyden. Siistiä! Taas iso pala 78%... (nam)... ja vielä kerran takaisin 72% pariin. Kyllä, tämä on makeampaa ja maistan tätä nyt pureskellessa (sori) hieman marsipaanisia vivahteita.

Näitä kahdesta suklaasta 78% on suosikkini. Siinä on enemmän makuja aina jälkimakuun asti. Mutta. Koska annoin 72%:lle "heikon" 9  ja nyt vahvan 9 tälle, on suklaiden kokonaisarvosanaero lähes olematon. Pidän molemmista. Vaaleampi on makeampi, mutta ei tietenkään makea siten kuin esimerkiksi maitosuklaat.

Maitosuklaasta puheenollen... Minulla on vielä Oialla Beniano Bolivia 46% maitosuklaata jemmassa levyllinen. Se on tummaa suklaata johon on lisätty maitojauhetta. Ei vaniljaa tai lesitiiniä. Pysykää kanavalla.

Ainesosat: Kaakao sisältäen kaakaovoin (48,8g/100g) & ruokosokeri

Ei kommentteja: